Underwriter – Full Time
Specialty - Medical Stop Loss Insurance
Competitive Compensation Package
Overview: This Pittsburgh based boutique company is a captive manager serving as a direct writer medical stop loss captive insurance facility. As a direct writer captive insurer, the company’s underwriting manual is internally produced to customize its clientele’s needs.
Description: The position of underwriter is to review existing renewal clients and prospective clients. The underwriter’s role is vitally important to the growth and financial security of the company as all issued policies flow through underwriting.
The ideal candidate will have an entrepreneurial spirit, leadership abilities, and can effectively assist in refining the existing underwriting methods.
- Experience in Premium Pricing of Health Plans
- Understand on a granular level medical stop loss underwriting and its vocabulary.
- Multi-tasking through multiple group reviews at a time and frequently requesting additional information.
- Collaborate with clinical team on high-cost disease states.
- Participate, coordinate and/or lead in workflow development, policy and procedure development/amendments.
- Maintain HIPAA compliance, as applicable.
- Leadership ability and desire to contribute to a growing division.
- In-depth knowledge of self-funded employee health benefits.
- Excellent communication skills and be able to articulate to various parties:
- Health plan consultants
- Third parties such as TPAs and PBMs
- Mostly be able to work independently and within a team setting.
- Develop multiuser prospect and client proposal spreadsheets.
- Preferred 4-year college degree
- Education: Math, business, actuarial sciences or related fields of study
- Will consider a High school degree with no less than 5 years of work experience.
- Work within a tight deadline driven environment.
- High competency with Microsoft Excel.
- Experience with Salesforce.
- Competitive salary based on experience.
- Subject bonuses available.
- 401(k) Plan participation.
- Health, vision, and dental.
- Paid time off.
We are an EOE.